Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Shakshuka (Eggs in Purgatory)

When I come across a dish I've never heard of before of course I have to research it, learn it, and then put my own spin on it when I try it myself. This recipe is a combination of my favorite parts of various recipes. You could add chorizo, or substitute other herbs for a different flavor profile, but I kept this kind of in keeping with a Moroccan recipe I made not too long ago (found here): a vibrant mix of spicy, sweet, and tangy that packs a flavor punch unlike anything I've had before. In the world of food there is nothing that excites me more than finding a completely new, unexpected combination of flavors and textures.

Enjoy!

Shakshuka (Eggs in Purgatory)

1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 red bell peppers, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small bunch kale, stems removed, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cinnamon (lately I'm addicted to putting cinnamon in my tomato sauce, but you can replace it with dried thyme if it sounds weird)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or Tabasco, to taste
5-6 eggs, depending on size of pan
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped, for serving
2 oz crumbled goat cheese, for serving
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat olive oil over medium. Chop the onion and red bell peppers in large pieces and add to a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds until just chopped. Add to the hot pan and sauté until lightly browned.

Mince the garlic and add to the pan for one minute. Chop the kale finely and sauté, deglazing with white wine if the pan is dry. When kale is wilted, add the tomato paste and diced tomatoes and stir to combine. Season with salt, pepper and the spices and allow to simmer, stirring, for ten minutes.

When sauce is cooked, make wells in the sauce for the eggs. Crack an egg into each well and season generously with salt and pepper. Cover the pan, cooking on low heat, until eggs are cooked through but yolks are soft, about five minutes.

Top the finished dish with chopped cilantro and crumble goat cheese. Serve alongside bread if desired.

No comments :

Post a Comment