Monday, February 10, 2014

Mussels in Smoky Roasted Tomato Broth


This recipe is my own creation!  Well actually, it was inspired by another "Mussels in Smoky Tomato Broth" recipe.  I found one somewhere online and bookmarked it.  Months later I was heartbroken to discover the page no longer existed!  I searched and searched, but the recipe was lost forever.

I have struggled to remember what inspired me to make this and recreated it here, with the addition of roasted vegetables for extra smokiness.

Be sure to buy the mussels at the last minute.  I once bought mine too far in advance, put them in the fridge and found about half of them had opened before I had a chance to clean them.  Rinse them with very cold water, remove the beards and place them in a bowl of ice until ready to cook.  If any are open, tap them gently and if they don't close, discard them.

Four tomatoes, any type
1 bunch small green onions, cut diagonally in about 2 inch pieces
One bottle beer (I used a wheat beer, but ale would also work)
One 9 oz tube pork chorizo (I used El Mexicano from Savemart)
One pound mussels, cleaned and debearded (discard any that are open)

Cut the tomatoes into thick rounds, about three slices each.  Arrange on a baking sheet and roast at 400 until they are brown, about 30 minutes.  Remove to a large cutting board and add the green onions to the hot oven for about five minutes.

Heat a large pot over medium high heat and cook chorizo, breaking up with a spoon.  Cook until heated through.

While chorizo is cooking, cut the tomatoes into smaller pieces.  When chorizo is cooked add the green onions and the tomatoes and their juice to the pot.

Heat the used baking pan over medium.  When the pan is hot, turn off the burner and deglaze with the beer, scraping with the spoon to break up the cooked tomato juices.  Add all the beer to the pot.

When it simmers, add the mussels and cover.  Cook for 3-5 minutes.  When the mussels have opened they are cooked.

Ladle the mussels and broth into a shallow bowl and serve with thick baguette slices to sop up the broth.

Enjoy!


2 comments :

  1. This looks so good! One of my favorite things to do is take current recipes and add my own spin to it. So much fun! I wish I knew you were cooking like this when we were neighbors! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I realized I really don't follow recipes anymore, just take them as inspiration and do my own thing. If it doesn't work then... it doesn't end up on this blog ;)

    ReplyDelete